Friday, January 24, 2014 11:50 PM
I just finished watching Reply 1994 and I absolutely
LOVED it! I can't fully express what I'm feeling inside but this has got to be one of the
BEST dramas I've ever watched. It is highly entertaining, and probably engaging as it invites viewers to reminisce good ol' days in the 90s. And I find that super exciting and fascinating. I remember how Dad had his pager - in the drama, it's a bbi-bbi (beeper) - and I still know its number: 94917526! I love how they showed the events that actually happened in reality during the 90s like the economic crisis and the collapse of the department store. It makes the drama more informative, like being in a history class - just with extra romance.
Speaking of romance, yeah, besides all those nice walk down the memory lane, this drama of course has to focus on its love story! Basically, it's a drama which makes us guess who the main character's husband is, out of the five guy friends she has. Though it's obvious it's either Trash or Chilbong. But I did have a small hope it was Haitai HEHE
I was on Team Chilbong from Day 1. I actually watched this drama 'cos I was reading the 2013 drama reviews and this popped up quite a number of times. I didn't really remember whether the reviews are positive or negative or a mix but I did know there's Yoo Yeon Seok as Chilbong. 'cos he looks cute. And he's the one who eventually led me to watch it. Initially, he looked familiar to me and it bugged me alot so I researched on him. Bammmm! Found out he acted as the villains in Werewolf Boy and Soul. I was shocked and wanted to see his innocent and pure acting in Reply 1994.
I was so glad I watched this drama 'cos it really gave me all the happy feelings throughout. No regrets! Some people commented that the first episode was boring. I didn't feel the same but I admit that I did ask when this Chilbong is gonna come out, which he then appeared in Episode 2. Thankfully Episode 1 attracted me. It was all because of Samcheonpo and his silliness while trying to get to the Shinchon Boarding House. So slenge! He waited for the specific train to come for hours! HAHA the sheep sound effect in the drama really made the funny scenes more impactful. Lol.
Anyways, I like both main potential husbands, Trash and Chilbong. I like Trash initially but then I wanted Chilbong to be with Na-jung. 'cos he's just sooooooo sweet. I know Trash is manly, matured, intelligent etc. but I feel weirded out as he's Na-jung's substitute-brother in the first place. Chilbong, on the other hand, slowly tries to get Na-jung with small steps one at a time. Chilbong's gentle and hardworking on the field. But like what he said, because he's too nice, he was ruined. Whatever, I just love their lovely on-screen takes and that is all that matters! Generally, I always spazz whenever he appears. Yes. I would squeal and air-punch the laptop screen. I'm not overreacting. You have to watch it to know why I did so. His character is really adorable and innocent.
I've to applaud for the writer for raising our attention to the parents and the other students of the Shinchon Boarding House. The viewers get to know their backgrounds which is a factor to their personalities in this drama. Unlike other dramas where minor characters don't really have much screentime, Reply 1994 explored ways to make us feel connected to their relationship. And that is also another reason why I love this drama: it feels like we're in boarding house itself! I personally would love to be in this circle of friends. Friendship can be this fun! I'm jealous that they made friends under the same roof for many years. It feels more like a family. A big family. They eat breakfast and dinner together. And also have small meets-up in college, and drinking sessions at home.
The characters use alot of accents so to people who aren't used to the provincial accents, they may find it difficult for the ears to capture the 'weird' pronunciation. I love their different provincial accents. Especially Yoonjin's and Haitai's. I personally always listen to Seoul accent but I was okay with it. Oh yeah, btw, if you watch the drama online, it would be better 'cos the subbers will explain some stuff that we non-Koreans don't know of. Like for example, ddal-ddal is slippers for Busan but it's known as a sexual word for other parts of Korea. And Chilbong was silently laughing to himself when he heard Na-jung saying that. But on M.net channel, they didn't properly sub it as slippers. I also do feel that it's important for viewers to at least understand some Korean or learn Hangul because some, but not all, dialogues are kind of a word-play/pun. Like Samcheonpo and Sacheonpo when combined, it would be Chilcheonpo HAHA
By the way, I love love love the OST to this drama. Most of them are remakes of popular older songs in the 90s. My favourite is Sung Si Kyung's To You, a remake of Seo Taiji's same-titled song. SSK's voice is pure butter okay! Damn smooth vocals. I think this song is more for Chilbong (ehh not biased hor). And Chilbong would be singing his rendition of To You for the post-show! I can't wait~ Oh yeah, I would also like to admit that the 90s songs that were featured in the drama are quite nice. Lyrics-wise, I liked how it matches the scenarios. There's a song that has this lyrics, "
I'm writing to you a letter, even though we'll meet tomorrow" Argh I've to rewatch the drama to jot down the song title. I don't know which episode that is! Such a bummer.
This is also my first time in few years that I started to like a person so much: Yoo Yeon Seok. Reminds me of the days when I liked Kim Jung Hoon - my first Korean love. I get happy when I see Chilbong's (prefer calling him this) pictures and would save them up. I wanted to watch his dramas and movies but too bad, some are not available online so I shall pass the older ones. I'm gonna watch Gu Family Book for him. Hope he appears alot and is not just a minor character HEHE His smile is so sweet, please~ He has puppy eyes too. Sometimes he has double eyelids. His face is sooooo white and milky. He's recently appointed an ambassador for Clarisonic. Another excuse why I should buy Clarisonic Mia 2. Lol. See? I'm starting to fangirl like a teen again. And you know that I'm not usually like this since DBSK broke up. I used to be crazy over DBSK.
I would definitely watch this drama all over again. It has sentimental learning values which are always narrated pertaining to that episode, usually at the end. It also makes us learn how important communication with people around us is. Whenever I need to laugh and feel loved, I know I have to watch this. Just like High Kick Through The Roof.